The Pinpoint of Light Spiritualist Center and Camp are auxiliaries of the National Spiritualist Association of Churches. Our mission is to provide a place where individuals can explore their spirituality and, if they wish, develop their spiritual gifts.
Spiritualism is the Science, Philosophy and Religion of continuous life. Spiritualism demonstrates continuous life through the messages from the higher side of life received through mediums. These messages are delivered in the form of inspirational talks or writings and personal greetings from loved ones who have crossed to the higher side of life. The proof of the authenticity of these communications is in the perception of the receiver as to their accuracy. Spiritualism acknowledges natural law and expresses a system of values by which one should live.
What we call Modern Spiritualism has been practices in all cultures throughout the history of mankind. There have always been those individuals who were aware of and in contact with the higher spiritual realms. There has always been a belief in a superior force, a source, invisible to our human senses. Spiritualism recognizes that there is truth in all the writings of other religions and that these writings are a reflection of the time in human evolution in which they were produced and are the interpretation of individuals.
Modern Spiritualism came into being as the result of phenomena taking place in a small cottage in Hydesville, New York in 1848. The experiences of the Fox family in that cottage began a search for the truth by true believers and skeptics alike. In 1864 the first National Convention of Spiritualists assembled in Chicago, IL. The organization was called the National Association of Spiritualists and existed for nine years. The National Spiritualist Association or National Spiritualist Association of the United States held its first convention in September of 1893 in Chicago, IL. An amendment to the incorporation was recorded on December 1, 1922 changing the name of the organization to The National Spiritualist Association. Another amendment was recorded on April 27, 1953 changing the name to The National Spiritualist Association of Churches.
March 31 – The Anniversary of Modern Spiritualism
Modern Spiritualism began as the result of spirit rapping in a cottage located in the village of Hydesville, New York. Earlier occupants, the Bell and Weekman families, fled the cottage because of the rapping. Mr. John Fox, his wife Margaret and two young daughters, Margaretta, aged fifteen, and Kate, aged eleven, moved into the cottage on December 11, 1847. As the mystery of the rapping spirit unfolded, it was learned that a peddler by the name of Charles B. Rosna was murdered by the Bells.
The youngest child, Catherine, began communicating with the spirit. "Mr. Splitfoot, do as I do" and she clapped her hands. The rapping imitated her with the same number of raps. Then her sister, Margaretta, said, "Now do as I do, count one, two, three, four...." as she struck one hand to the other,. Once again, the raps were repeated the same way. The girls called thier mother and Margaretta said, "oh look, Mother! It can see as well as hear."
Mrs. Fox communicated with the spirit establishing a code of numbers and letters. Neighbors were invited to come and witness the events. Through their questions they found out the communicating spirit’s name and that he was murdered in the house five years earlier by the Bell family. They were told his body was buried in the cellar and he was murdered for his wares and the sum of $500.00.
The family decided to dig below the cellar but, being on low ground and with heavy rains, they hit water at three feet. In late July of 1848 they resumed the digging and found pieces of crockery, the peddler’s pack, some hair and bones. A medical professional examined the findings and it was determined that some of the bones were from a human skull.
Over fifty years later, children were playing in the cellar of the cottage they called, "spook house.” A wall of the cellar crumbled and almost an entire skeleton was found. This discovery was written about in The Boston Journal, November 23, 1904.